January’s coming up, and it’s time to do all the little annual chores that you do around the house. You change the batteries in the smoke detectors, update the insurance, but what about your plumbing? Winter’s hard on pipes and your drains, but not a lot of people do a plumbing checkup that could help avert big problems later on. You should have your main sewer drain cleaning done once per year, too. Why? Think about a year of grease, oils, baby wipes, and other stuff catching on roots and backing up at the most inconvenient possible time. While municipalities are investing in grinding machinery to combat the wet-wipes menace, or banning them outright, that doesn’t do anything for the part of the drain on your property, so here’s a checklist for your plumbing system:
- Clean the main sewer line.
- Check tubs, showers, kitchen and bathroom sinks, and laundry room drains for quick drainage.
- Check tubs, showers, kitchen and bathroom sink drain stops and valve stops for complete action opening or closing.
- Check around tubs, under sinks, and in cabinets and vanities for leaks.
- Check around dishwashers, washing machines, and icemaker tap line for leaks.
- Check dishwasher fill.
- Check the washer tub for leakage, and make sure that the hoses are in good condition.
- Check pipes and drains for leaks or corrosion. li>
- Check hose bibs and valves.
Checking for little problems now can help to head off big problems later and keeping your drains clear with a once a year cleaning from Benjamin Franklin at 406.534.1970 is a great way to start. We even offer a maintenance program that can keep your home’s plumbing system in top shape all year long. We’re local, so you’re not sealing with a faceless franchise plumbing operation. We’re here to help, 24/7/365.